Monday, May 17, 2010

Mother

I have to be honest here. When my friend first told me that we were going to go see a Korean movie, I shuttered at the idea. Then when he told me that it was going to have subtitles, I told him that I would rather go see Babies. However, I was pleasantly surprised at how good this film actually is.

For tradition's sake, let's start off with what this film is about. Mother is the story of, you guessed it, a South Korean mother who will stop at nothing to find the killer who wrongfully framed her son of a horrific murder.

Seeing is how there is very little wrong with this film i am just going to jump right into the good stuff. This film is well casted. I am not familiar with South Korean actors but from what I saw in this movie, these actors played their roles perfectly and I think special recognition is in order for  Hye-ja Kim, who played the role of Mother almost passionately. Along with good casting, this film has a good script that is funny, dramatic, and very smart. Director Joon-ho Bong also brought something to this film with some interesting angles and camerawork. This movie really knows itself and is very well-rounded, leaving no stone unturned.

The only not-so-great part about this film is the subtitles. Yes you have to read everything that everybody says, but the subtitles are not distracting and after a while it actually starts to feel natural. Do not let the subtitles stop you from seeing this film, it's good.

Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment