Sunday, January 16, 2011

My 2011 Hopefuls

2011 is going to be a year made up of sequels, prequels, and superheros; movies that are filled with the potential but will probably flop anyways. So, out of this broad array, I have gathered a list of these movies that I really don't want to suck.

Scream 4

In history, few movies have ever single-handedly saved an entire genre. By the time the 1980s ended, slasher films had pretty much run their course due to the overwhelming number that had been released that decade and as a result, the first half of the 90s didn't see many slashers; however, in 1996, the slasher film found renewed life in Wes Craven and Kevin Williamson's Scream. Brilliant writing coupled with great direction and understanding of the genre helped shape the future of slasher films with this pastiche and in 1997, we got a sequel that was even more witty than the original. Sadly, in 2000, Scream 3 failed to deliver the goods or raise any bar. Luckily, 2011 offers a reboot with original writer Kevin Williamson, original stars Neve Campbell, David Arquette, Courteney Cox, and Wes Craven still behind the camera. Scream 4 promises the same amount of wit and scares for a newer generation of thrill seekers and with these recognizable faces, along with fresh talent, it sure has the potential.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Okay, I'll admit it... I am a huge fan of the original Curse of the Black Pearl. I enjoyed the seafaring adventure and the swashbuckling action; heck, I even enjoyed the craziness that is Johnny Depp at his best. Sadly, Dead Man's Chest was just hype, building us up for a climax that never happened with At World's End. Not only that, but the story eventually got swallowed up by Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley's premarital, on-again-off-again drama. Lucky for us, neither of those two are in this fourth enstallment which opens the story back up for the captain we all love and gives the filmmakers more room to explore. Yeah I know, Gore isn't directing this one, I'm sad too, but I believe  Rob Marshall (Chicago and Nine) can do it.


Cars 2

Pixar is one of my favorite film studios. They just put out hit after hit and, surprisingly, every single one of their movies has been good thus far. From the looks of the trailer, that might all change with this sequel. Since I first heard  about this movie, I have been wondering why Pixar would choose to follow up their first, very successfull trilogy with a sequel to Cars, especiall if they wanted to save the world. I mean, they already have a movie about a super powered family, why have these characters do it? Anyway, that question still bothers me but I have faith in Pixar and I trust that they know what they're doing and I don't want to see them put an end to their streak.

Transformers: The Dark of the Moon

Ask any of my friends and they will tell you that I am a big fan of Michael Bay's Transformers movies. All the explosions and high-octane action actually works for Bay with this story and these characters. The first film did a good job at establishing the characters and the story. Unfortunately, the story didn't varry at all in the sequel, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, and it ended up being a whole lot of the same thing over and over again (ask Michael Bay and he will tell you that this was caused by the writers' strike earlier that year). Looking to the future, I am filled with tentative hope that Transformers: The Dark of the Moon (reportedly Bay's last Transformer film) far exceeds the last film in every way. Michael Bay, if you can hear me, please don't mess this one up.


Captain America: The First Avenger

Marvel Comics is known for putting out today's most recognizable superheros such as Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man, the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, and Captain America. Right now, Marvel Studios is preparing the Avengers movie and in doing so, they are trying to rush the production of the Thor and Captain America movies; even Iron Man 2 is a giant posterboy for this upcoming project. This worries me because I don't want these movies suck just because Marvel wants to release one film. So, I guess, this post includes both Marvel movies coming out this year becausenobody wants to see their superhero looking like a fool on the big screen, especially Captain America.

No comments:

Post a Comment